Bray flooding could have been prevented says Brady

Bray seafront flooding

Neglect of coastal defences has led to the first flooding to hit Bray’s seafront in over a decade, says local councillor John Brady.

Erosion of coastal defences

“Thousands of tonnes” of shingle have been washed away, says Brady.

The Strand Road area of the town was hit by major flooding on Monday, the first time since the Bray Coastal Protection Scheme was completed in 2001.

Many homes and businesses were affected by the flooding, including facilities for the Queen of Peace Youth Club and Bray Rowing Club. The area from The National Sea Life Centre to the Bray Head Hotel was worst affected.

Brady, who raised concerns over the condition of Bray’s coastal defences last year, says that thousands of tonnes of shingle have been washed away and in some places coastal protection has been reduced by over 100 metres.

“The project was supposed to have been monitored and replenished over the last 12 years but this simply has not happened,” Brady said. “This has left the project’s overall viability in question, leaving the seafront at risk of flooding again and also putting the promenade at risk.

“We need answers as to why nothing was done when I raised concerns with the council about the scheme in 2012. The erosion has also left the foreshore unstable and a public safety issue. I am calling on the council and the Minister for Agriculture, Food and the Marine, Simon Coveney to immediately carry out a survey on the overall project and have the necessary works carried out immediately.”

 

Please contact us for use of this image