Man dies in hospital after nursing home fire

Pic: Shayne Phelan

An elderly man has died in hospital following a fire at a Bray nursing home on Saturday afternoon.

69-year-old Oliver Cronin originally from Virginia, Co Cavan but a resident of Dublin, was taken to St Vincent’s and then on to the burns unit in St James’s Hospital where he died on Sunday night.

The scene on Strand Road on Saturday afternoon

The scene in Bray on Saturday afternoon.

Speaking to WicklowNews.net, Mr Cronin’s son, Christopher Lane (29), said his father was smoking in a bathroom when the fire began, causing burns to 45% of his body.

Bray fire service and members of the gardai attended the scene and evacuated over 40 residents from the building.

The incident occurred at around 4pm in the Shannagh Bay nursing home on the Strand Road.

Initial reports that none of the residents of the home were injured were inaccurate.

Mr Lane, who is still coming terms with the loss of his father, said he did not know if he would make a complaint against the nursing home.

He has three days to file a formal written complaint with the Health Information and Quality Authority (Hiqa).

Mr Lane’s cousin, Danielle Corcoran, said she was “disgusted” by the incident and questioned how a housebound old man managed to get his hands on cigarettes in the nursing home.

Gardai in Bray say they have no plans to begin a criminal investigation, unless the coroner’s report shows otherwise.

A post-mortem was due to be carried out on Mr Cronin’s remains today.

Please contact us for use of this image