A Hollywood man who suffered severe brain injuries when he was hit by a bin lorry seven years ago, was awarded just under €5 million in damages at the high court on Monday.
Pádraig Hearns(39), of Lower Hollywood Cross, Hollywood, who is a former Mr Ireland, was assaulted prior to a bin lorry passing in Sycamore Street in Dublin’s Temple Bar.
After the assault, Mr Hearns crawled under a bin lorry, which then ran over him. It is not known why he crawled under the lorry but the court heard that he was most likely dazed and confused after the assault.
He was found with tyre marks on his back and head after the incident and spent a week in an induced coma with a fractured skull.
The court also heard that the former air steward was now under the care of his elderly parents and siblings.
Mr Justice Michael Peart said in a reserved judgment that Dublin City Council had breached its duty of care when the lorry moved off without a man remaining outside to ensure it was safe to do so.
He said that the authority ignored its own by-laws, which had been implemented three months earlier, which stated that no commercial waste could be collected in the area between 12pm and 6am in the area.
The proceedings were adjourned for mention until October 8th.