Fine Gael TD for Wicklow and Minister of State Simon Harris has today (Friday, 18th December) welcomed €196,000 to Wicklow organisations involved in safeguarding animal welfare.
Commenting on this, Minister Harris stated: “Animal welfare organisations throughout Wicklow play a very important role by educating the public on best practice in looking after animals, by making effective interventions where appropriate and providing facilities for at-risk animals.
“Animal welfare bodies have an increased workload at present due to new animal welfare legislation, including the new dog microchipping legislation, and the reporting of incidences of animal neglect to the Department’s animal welfare helpline. This clearly demonstrates a need to assist animal welfare organisations in their important work and I am pleased that this Government has provided this increased funding to animal welfare organisations for the fifth consecutive year.
“Specific funding has also been targeted towards the development of projects and initiatives around dog micro-chipping, to coincide with the requirement that all dogs must be microchipped from 31 March 2016
“Wicklow organisations which are to benefit from animal welfare funding:
· Animal Sanctuary Hubasha Ltd, T/A Ash Animal Rescue, Kiltegan, Co Wicklow – €28,000
· Aughrim Cat Rescue, Lower Killacloran, Aughrim, Co Wicklow – €2,000
· Cat Concern Wicklow, Heathervue, Greystones, Co Wicklow – €4,500
· Greystones Kitty Hostel, 8 Castlefield Terrace, Greystones, Co Wicklow – €3,000
· Irish Horse Protection League, Manor Kilbride, Blessington, Co Wicklow – €5,000
· Irish Horse Welfare Trust, Ballinamona, Woodenbridge, Arklow, Co Wicklow – €87,000
· Kildare and West Wicklow SPCA, Kilcullen, Co Kildare – €20,000
· Traveller Animal Welfare, Avon Hill Farm, Ballyknockan, Rathdrum, Co. Wicklow – €6,500
· Wicklow SPCA, Ballygannon Mor, Rathdrum, Co Wicklow – €40,000
“As a dog owner, I am very pleased to see Wicklow’s animal welfare organisations receiving increased funding to continue their vital work,” concluded Minister Harris.