The Society of the Irish Motor Industry (SIMI) today issued the official 162 car sales figures for the month of October. Total new car registrations Year to Date (145,433) are up 21,913 units or +18%, on the same period last year (123,520).However new car registrations for the month of October (2,243) decreased by 316 units or -12% compared to October 2015 (2,559).
Light Commercial Vehicle (LCV) registrations (27,347) are up 4,373 units or +19% Year to Date, while registrations in the month of October (1,181) have seen a decrease of 23 units or -2% in comparison to the same month last year (1,204). Heavy Goods Vehicle (HGV) registrations during October (128), also recorded a decrease of -16% (25 units) for the month when compared to October last year (153), while Year to Date registrations (2,774) are currently up 711 units or +34% compared to the same period in 2015 (2,063).
Commenting on the figures SIMI Director General Alan Nolan said “In the final quarter of the year we do expect to see a slow-down in new vehicle registrations, with much smaller numbers each month compared to the peak selling months; indeed the Industry is already moving its focus to the 2017 sales period, as can be seen and heard in current advertising campaigns. However it is fairly apparent that the 162 period at 7% up on last year has seen a slowing-down in registrations relative to the 161 period which finished 23% up on the first six months of 2015. Whether this has been influenced by the Brexit situation or just a slowing of retail activity in the Irish economy, after a sustained period of growth, is not yet clear but this is something that the Industry will be continuing to watch closely.”
- New car sales year to date (2016)145,433 (2015) 123,520 +18%
- New car sales total October (2016) 2,243 (2015) 2,559 -12%
- 5 Top Selling Makes for the Year 2016: 1. Hyundai 2.Volkswagen 3.Toyota 4.Ford 5.Nissan
- 5 Top Selling Models for the Year 2016: 1. Hyundai Tucson 2.Volkswagen Golf 3.Ford Focus 4.Skoda Octavia 5.Nissan Qashqai
- Top selling car for the month of October Volkswagen Golf and Volkswagen Passat Saloon and year to date is Hyundai Tucson.
- Light Commercial Vehicles sales year to date (2016) 27,347 (2015) 22,974 +19%
- Light Commercial Vehicles sales total October (2016) 1,181 (2015) 1,204 -2%
- Heavy Goods Vehicle total sales year to date (2016)2,774 (2015) 2,063 +34%
- Heavy Goods Vehicle sales total October (2016) 128 (2015) 153 -16%
If you’d like to stay up to date with what’s happening in Wicklow, then why not sign up for our weekly newsletter. which is delivered to your inbox each Wednesday – no spam we promise.
You can also stay up to date on our Facebook Page