Gardai are advising motorists to drive with caution as fog and mist is reported throughout the county.
Weather forecast for today.
A few bright spells, but generally cloudy and misty, with some rain and drizzle at times and with patches of fog on exposed hills and coasts. Windy, with fresh to strong southeasterly winds. Top temperatures of 9 to 11 C., but feeling cooler in the wind.
AA tips for driving in fog.
- Use dipped headlights, wipers and demisters.
- Use fog lights when you need to.
- Don’t rely on automatic lights – they may not come on in fog.
- Beware of other drivers not using headlights.
- Don’t rely on Daytime Running Lights alone – they only light the front.
- Only drive as fast as conditions allow.
- Keep a greater distance – allow three seconds between you and the car in front.
- Tailing another car’s rear lights can give a false sense of security and it’s dangerous.
- Adjust your speed so you can stop in the distance you can see clearly.
- Don’t speed up to get away from a vehicle that’s too close behind you.
- Check your mirrors before you slow down.
- Open your window to listen for traffic at junctions if you can’t see.