Visitors to Brittas Bay beach are being warned to be careful after five people were stung by Weever fish today on the popular Wicklow beach.
Local man Paul Leahy said “Adults and children were among the victims today. Their sting is excruciatingly painful. Lifeguards treated the victims. They are usually just under the sand near waters edge. It is advisable to wear footwear.”
Parents should make sure their children are wearing flip-flops or other footwear. If you do happen to get stung, contacting the lifeguard on duty – if there is one – should be your first course of action.
If you’d like to stay up to date with what’s happening in Wicklow, then why not sign up for our weekly newsletter. which is delivered to your inbox each Wednesday – no spam we promise.
You can also stay up to date on our Facebook Page