A new online service was launched today allowing people to apply for a medical card from their own home.
Medicalcard.ie, launched by the HSE, aims to provide people with a much quicker and easier method of obtaining a medical card.
Users can now find out if they are eligible for the medical card immediately, and if they are, the HSE has said successful applications will now be processed within 15 working days.
Minister for Health and Wicklow TD Simon Harris has said this new “streamlined service” will bring great benefits for many people. “This is a very welcome new development by the HSE and is part of the ongoing modernisation of the operation of the medical card scheme”.
Harris said the applicant is “put at the centre of the process” and in time, this method will “become the preferred method of application”.
Almost 440,000 applications were received by the National Medical Card Unit in 2017, so this new application process will come as a welcome to many people.
Benefits of new National Medical Card Online service include:
- The online system guides you through each step of the application process.
- Applicants can submit all supporting documentation digitally, including photographs of relevant material.
- Your GP will be able to accept you onto their panel via the online system.
- The HSE will be able to contact you via email instead of writing to you regarding your application.
- When you have submitted your financial details as part of the online application, we will tell you straight away if you qualify for a medical card.
- Complete application will be processed in 15 working days.
Full details about the National Medical Card Online service are available at www.medicalcard.ie