Plans to create a new public realm space at The Parade Ground, Main Street, have been welcomed by Arklow Municipal District and Arklow Town Team.
It is envisaged that this development will contribute to stimulating new growth within the town from a commercial perspective and also improve the town from an aesthetic point of view.
When works are completed they will also improve traffic flow within the town centre and make it more appealing for people to spend time there and enjoy the new public area.
The planned development of the area will consist of the following key elements:
- Re-alignment of the footpath on the church side of Main Street
- Construction of a raised paved toucan crossing in the roadway that will link the courthouse plaza to the parochial gardens
- Construction of a pedestrian crossing adjacent to the Bank of Ireland
- Paving and landscaping of the area outside the church
- Removal of the walls and railings from the front of the courthouse building
- Paving and landscaping of the area outside the courthouse grounds
- Erecting a sculpture of Dr Ronnie Delany outside the courthouse grounds
A Part VIII planning application has been lodged with Wicklow County Council in accordance with Article 81 of the Planning and Development Regulations 2001.
Plans and particulars of the proposed development are available for inspection between the hours of 9.30am-1.00pm and 2.00pm-4.30pm at the reception floor of Arklow Municipal District Offices, Castlepark, Arklow, Monday to Friday, up to and including Tuesday, 13th February 2018 inclusive.
Anyone wishing to view the plans for the proposed development online may do so by clicking on the following link: http://www.wicklow.ie/arklow-town-%E2%80%93-parade-ground-public-realm-scheme.
Submissions and observations on the proposed development, dealing with the proper planning and sustainable development of the area, may be made in writing to the District Administrator, Arklow Municipal District Offices,Castlepark, Arklow, Co Wicklow, on or before 12 noon on Tuesday, 26th February 2018.