‘Opportunity to promote GAA in Wicklow has been missed’ – Martin Fitzgerald

Martin Fitzgerald has expressed his disappointment at the decision of the GAA not to hold Wicklow’s Leinster senior football championship quarter-final at Joule Park in Aughrim.

The Garden County will play Dublin in the championship quarter-final at O’Moore Park in Portlaoise on the 27th of May after defeating Offaly in the opening round on Sunday — Wicklow’s first SFC win in five years

Speaking after the game, Wicklow manager John Evans said that he wanted the clash against the Dubs to take place in Joule Park in Aughrim.

“I think Dublin should come to Aughrim. There is nothing to fear in Aughrim and you’re our next door neighbours. Why not help out the next door neighbours in the Leinster championship?” Evans told RTÉ.

However, following a formal request from the Wicklow county board to the GAA to hold the game in Joule Park, the request was denied — which disappointed Fitzgerald.

In a statement, the Wicklow county chairman said that an opportunity to boost gaelic games in Wicklow had been missed as a result of the decision.

“All members of Wicklow GAA are working hard to develop, promote and grow participation within the county, at all levels,. The possibility of welcoming the reigning All-Ireland Senior Champions to Joule Park, Aughrim would have given a sizeable boost to Wicklow GAA, our supporters and our players.

“We are hugely disappointed that this request has not been considered. We feel a significant opportunity has been missed to promote GAA in Wicklow and assist the hard- work being done at all levels, across all codes, in the county,” Fitzgerald said.

A spokesperson from Dublin GAA told WicklowNews that their county board were happy to play the game wherever it was located.

Please contact us for use of this image

Sign up to our weekly newsletter