Red hot Lee scorches Newbridge soil and helps Wicklow to Kildare draw

By William O’Toole

A master class from Mikey Lee helped Wicklow helped Wicklow to a draw against neighbours Kildare in Newbridge yesterday.

The two sides had very different league campaigns with Wicklow gaining promotion and Kildare suffering relegation but the sides have been closely matched in the past and that was the case again yesterday.

The home side registered the first score of the game when a rasper of a shot from Gerry Keegan hit the back of net.

Casey O’Brien’s men hit straight back though, thanks to a quick point and goal from Lee.

The first half was frantic and the action was end to end with both sides exchanging point after point.

Mikey Lee got his second goal of the game 28 minutes in when he was put through to blast the ball into the Kildare net.

Both sides exchanged further points before half time and Casey’s men went in with a narrow point lead with the scores 2-07 to 1-09.

Wicklow made the brighter start to the second half but the home side raised the first white flag of the half.

Wicklow added further scores thanks to Lee and Andy O’Brien but three scores from the home side leveled the scores.

Gerry Keegan was causing Wicklow trouble but not as much trouble as Lee was causing them.

The Bray man was simply on fire with deadly accurate shooting causing the Kildare men all kinds of trouble and another point from him put Wicklow back into the lead.

Both sides couldn’t be separated though and were level when the final whistle blew and extra time beckoned.

Kildare got the first three points in extra time and despite another Lee point they ended the first period three in front.

As was the case at the start of the second half, Wicklow got of to a flyer in the second period of extra time.

Two Lee frees and a point from O’Brien levelled it again.

Kildare regained the lead but it was short lived. A cracking point from Avondale’s Shane Byrne leveled it again.

It was one of those game’s.  A game where you couldn’t take you eyes of it for fear of missing something.

The homeside regained the lead again in the dying seconds and the Newbridge crowd must surely have thought that was that.

Enter Mikey Lee with another cracking point. The Bray man recieved the ball with his back to the goal, he turned smartly and hit it high and straight to level it and bring it to Arklow.

Well done to both sides, this was a cracking game of hurling. Sometimes a draw is the right result and that was the case yesterday.

If you have a story that you think the WicklowNews.Net readers and beyond should know about, we’d love for you to get in touch with us. Submit A Story

WicklowNews.Net Competitions

Powered by

Ready Set Play

Competition Ends

Competition is now closed
Related Stories
© Copyright 2022

Do you have a story for us? Contact us by email