Aughrim G.A.A. club notes

Aughrim Juveniles
The U12 Hurlers chalked up their 3 win on the trot away to Kilmacanogue over the bank holiday weekend. They played some excellent hurling to beat a big Kilmacanogue team. The U12 Footballers came away from Carnew with their first win if the season, they have slowly got to grips with the Division 2 league and should continue to improve over the coming weeks. Well done to all the U12 players in both codes. The U8’s and U10’s unfortunately had their football and hurling blitzes cancelled in Shillelagh and Kiltegan over the past number of weeks but they did get to play in the football blitz in Arklow over the weekend. The U10’s won all their games, and have some very good footballers on their team, some of who play on the U12 team. The U8’s also acquitted themselves very well, with the 2 teams having some very close games. Next up is a hurling blitz in Tinahely on Friday night.

Derry Gaels
The Derry Gaels U14 team hosted Blessington in the U14 Div2 league recently but went down on a scoreline of 5-12 to 3-12. The team were flying in the first half and were well on top, leading 3-09 to 1-05 at half time, but on the changeover for the second half to play into the wind, they struggled to score, which eventually lead to their downfall. The team play Newtown in Aughrim on Wednesday at 7.15pm.

Luke O’ Tooles
Having won the County Feile a few weeks ago, Luke O’ Tooles finally got their Hurling league/ championship campaign off the mark last week with 2 games. First up were Glenealy on Wednesday night.

Luke’s were very slow to get in to the game and after 10 min’s play were only 1 pt to the good, with both defences on top, soon after however, Luke O’ Tooles got in to their stride and started notching up the scores, between the 16 and 30 min’s of the first half, Luke’s scored 2-14 to Glenealy’s 1pt, an astonishing one score a minute, with Eoin Darcy scoring 1-11 from play.

The game was effectively over as a contest at half time, but Luke’s kept pushing forward in the second half to win on a score line of 6-22 to 0-01. On Friday night the team headed to Kiltegan to play Michael Dwyers, Michael Dwyers had troubled Luke O’ Tooles in the semi-final of the Feile and it was expected that they would do the same again. The Luke O’ Toole players had different ideas, and they soon were into their stride, when Cathal Hayden struck for the first goal the team powered on and were ahead 7-04 to 1-01 at half time. It must be said though that Dwyers were strong all over the park, but the Luke O’ Tooles defence were playing as a very cohesive unit and were able to close down a lot of the Dwyers attacks, while at the other end Luke’s were able to get some very easy goals.

The second half was more evenly contested with Luke’s only amanaging 3 pts to Dwyers 4 pts – final score 7-07 to 1-05. Preperations are well on their way for the Feile Final’s in Ulster. The team is staying in Carryduff Co. Down,on Fri and Sat 19th and 20th June and should they progress to the Semi-final, will travel to Gervaghy in Co. Tyrone on Sunday.

Conor Connolly our U14 goalkeeper won a coaching session with Ger Cunningham a few months back. Ger is now a very busy man, managing the Dublin hurling team, however he kept to his promise and took charge of a tremendous coaching session with the U14 team on Monday night last.

We hope that the players got a lot out of the session, it should certainly help with our preparation for the Feile.

If you have a story that you think the WicklowNews.Net readers and beyond should know about, we’d love for you to get in touch with us. Submit A Story

Related Stories