The May bank holiday will see an increase in hillwalking activity throughout the county.
The Gardaí have appealed to people parking in the uplands to take the following measures to protect their vehicles:
- Avoid leaving bags, clothing etc on view within the vehicle;
- Open the glove box, and where possible, the lid on the boot, to show there is nothing in the vehicle;
- Remove portable sat navs including cradle and suction pads; also wipe any suction marks off the windscreen;
- If you must leave valuables in the boot, put them in before you arrive at the parking location;
- Secure the vehicle (23% of these thefts last year were from unlocked vehicles);
- Report all break-ins or damage to vehicles;
- Watch for, and report, suspicious any activity by dialling 999.