100% increase in uninsured drivers on Wicklow roads

There has been a 100% increase in uninsured drivers on Wicklow roads compared with the last two years.

Up to 65% of vehicles seized since the start of December have been uninsured with the remaining 35% failing to have no tax, no NCT/DOE  and in some cases serious defects.

A garda spokesperson told Wicklownews, Operation Thor has been a big success in the county and has also seen an increase in the conviction of mobile criminals.

The national trend shows an 85% increase in uninsured drivers.

The rise is being blamed on the high cost of insurance premiums.

If you are caught without any form of insurance, it could result in:

  • A fine of up to €5,000;
  • 5 penalty points;
  • At the discretion of the court, a term of imprisonment not exceeding six months

Gardai are also reminding anyone who is selling a vehicle privately to make sure the relevant paper work has been completed and sent immediately to the Vehicles Registration, Shannon, Co.Clare.

Sign up to our weekly newsletter

Please contact us for use of this image