The Gardaí have appealed to people parking in the uplands to take the following measures to protect their vehicles.
A number of incidents where property was stolen from vehicles were reported on Saturday.
- Avoid leaving bags, clothing etc on view within the vehicle;
- Open the glove box, and where possible, the lid on the boot, to show there is nothing in the vehicle;
- Remove portable sat navs including cradle and suction pads; also wipe any suction marks off the windscreen;
- If you must leave valuables in the boot, put them in before you arrive at the parking location;
- Secure the vehicle (23% of these thefts last year were from unlocked vehicles);
- Report all break-ins or damage to vehicles;
- Watch for, and report, suspicious any activity by dialling 999.