Wicklow Town Text Alert launched at Wicklow Garda Station on June 08th 2017 with committee members of the Wicklow Town Text Alert, Chief Superintendent John Quirke, Superintendent Paul Hogan and Sergeant Colm Corrigan. There was also members of the Barndarrig and Blainroe Text Alert Schemes present.
Community Text Alert Initiatives were developed for:
- The promotion of measures to reassure people living in rural Ireland particularly the elderly.
- To raise the level of awareness amongst all people of the need for greater social inclusiveness including crime prevention measures.
- To foster greater collaboration between the community and An Garda Síochána.
- Enhanced crime prevention status for Community Alert with improved community/Garda participation and joint practical activities
- Reduction in crime
- Community feel safer
- Increased communication amongst local residents via the text system
- Increased communication between An Garda Síochána and the community
- Better relations between An Garda Síochána and the community
- Gardaí are now able to get information to the community instantly
- Gardaí can canvass hundreds of subscribers in an instant should they require information.
There are currently a number of text alert schemes operating in various areas within the Wicklow District namely Roundwood, Glenealy, Blainroe, Beech Rd, Barniskey, Redcross, Barndarrig and other areas and it has proved to be a vital tool for Gardai to inform residents on various aspects of Garda related incidents in their area.