Wicklow Weather have issued a weather warning
A risk of moderate to severe thunderstorm activity across the country this afternoon and evening.
Potential for power outages where thunderstorms occur.
Further heavy rainfall this afternoon and evening with embedded torrential downpours leading to poor driving conditions.
This warning is valid until 11pm (22nd).
Motorists are urged to drive with caution.
Tips for driving in heavy rain.
- Firstly, slow down! Reduce your speed and leave more space between you and the vehicle in front as stopping distances in rain are increased
- Use dipped headlights so that other drivers can see you more easily
- Don’t use rear fog lights. They can mask your brake lights and dazzle drivers behind you
- Look out for large or fast-moving vehicles creating spray which reduces visibility
- Also remember to keep your air conditioning on, as this will stop your windows from misting up.
- Listen out for local news bulletins to keep up-to-date with road closures, flooding and forecasts
- If you break down in torrential rain keep the bonnet closed while waiting for help to arrive, to avoid the electrical system getting soaked
- Driving too fast through standing water could lead to tyres losing contact with the road. If your steering suddenly feels light you could be aquaplaning. To regain grip, ease off the accelerator, do not brake and allow your speed to reduce until you gain full control of the steering again
- Driving fast through deep water can cause serious and expensive damage
- Be considerate to other road users and try not to spray pedestrians and cyclists as you drive through water