Call on other community groups in Wicklow county to register events
Arklow is a Bank of Ireland Positive Ageing Town for 2017 and some of the events organised by Arklow Positive Ageing include:
- the official launch of the Week on Saturday, September 30, 2017 in Starbucks, Bridgewater Centre, Arklow at 2pm.
- a Harvest Thanksgiving Festival takes place at St Saviour’s Church, Arklow on Sunday 1st October at 3pm
- a Coffee Morning at Midway Restaurant, Arklow on Friday 6th October between 10am and 12 noon
This is the 15th year of Positive Ageing Week which takes place between Monday 25th September and Sunday 1st October. The theme for 2017 is ‘Back to the Future’ which focuses on getting all generations celebrating ageing in their local community.
Age Action is calling on other community groups in Wicklow county to register events for the Week and the deadline is now 5pm, Friday, 15th September, 2017.
Justin Moran, Head of Advocacy & Communications, Age Action said “Age Action’s mission is to make Ireland the best country in which to grow old and Bank of Ireland Positive Ageing Week is a hugely important part of that.
“We want to bring generations together in the community and celebrate all aspects of ageing. Last year over 550 events took place and this year our goal is to have 600 nationwide. People can organise whatever they wish – from a coffee morning to a Grandparents Day at local schools to dancercise to cooking – whatever they think would engage all age groups in their community.” (See below for a starter list of event and/or theme ideas!).
With Bank of Ireland Positive Ageing Week just a few weeks away, we need communities to help us make this Week the best ever.,”.
This year Bank of Ireland is the title sponsor for Positive Ageing Week. Maria Coleman, County Manager, Bank of Ireland, said, “We are delighted to sponsor Positive Ageing Week as part of our ongoing partnership with Age Action. Bank of Ireland Positive Ageing Week is a great opportunity for our team nationwide to support this fantastic initiative within their local community and host events promoting positive ageing.”
For event ideas and information on how to register an event visit https://www.ageaction.ie/how-you-can-help/positive-ageing-week-2017-sponsored-bank-ireland or email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01 475 6989.
- ITea – Afternoon Tea & Technology Event;
- Intergenerational mornings – Mother/Daughter/Niece or Father/Son/Nephew
- Frugal Fridays – Cooking on a Budget workshop;
- Eco, Historical and Forest Walks;
- Dancercise, Chair Zumba; Musical or Ceol agus Craic Evenings;
- Scrabble, Chess, Bridge and Boggle Clubs;
- Coffee Mornings;
- A Care and Repair Showcase event;
- Bank of Ireland Online Banking Training;
- Silver Surfer Awards.
Positive Fitness – both physical & mental:
Positive Beauty – Inside & Out
PositivITy – IT Learning
PositiviME – events to celebrate “me time” e.g.