Weekend Sports Round-up (Tuesday 27th March 2018)


Wicklow’s division four football league campaign was brought to a close on Sunday when they were beaten 2-15 to 0-10 away against Leitrim.

The defeat means that John Evans’ Wicklow will finish at the bottom of division four — having picked up just two draws and four defeats from their six games.

Wicklow made a good start to the game, with James Stafford and Mark Kenny putting them into a 0-3 to 0-2 lead early on. However, Keith Beirne scored a goal for Leitrim to put them two points up.

Gearóid Murphy was denied Wicklow’s first goal of the campaign before two more Leitrim points extended the lead to 1-4 to 0-4. Mark Kenny got a further point for Wicklow but Leitrim scored a further three points to lead 1-7 to 0-5 at half-time.

Wicklow managed to score just two points in the first 22 minutes of the second half, as Leitrim extended their lead to 1-11 to 0-7, before Emlynn Mulligan scored a second goal for the hosts to push the gap to 10 points.

John Evans’ side would score just three more points in the game through the debuting Dan Kelly and two from James Stafford, as Leitrim ran out 2-15 to 0-10 winners.

The Wicklow lady footballers came from behind to beat Fermanagh 2-12 to 1-8 to maintain their 100% record at the top of division four of the Lidl National Football League.

The win is Wicklow’s sixth of the season as they sit top of the division, three points ahead of Louth who they play in the final game of the campaign next Sunday.

Wicklow found themselves in front 0-6 to 0-5 after 20 minutes of the tie before Fermanagh scored a goal to lead by two points at half-time.

However, two quick goals from Laura Hogan and Katie Miley turned the game around for Wicklow, who took a 2-10 to 1-7 lead with 12 minutes to go. Wicklow scored a further two points to see out the game 2-12 to 1-8 to maintain their unbeaten run going into next weekend’s final round of games.



Bray Wanderers have been cut further adrift at the bottom of the Airtricity League Premier Division and have been knocked out of the EA Sports Cup following a nightmare weekend.

Bray kicked off the weekend by losing 2-1 away against Bohemians following a last-minute goal from Dinny Corcoran.

The Seagulls took the lead inside three minutes through Dan Kelly’s first goal for the club. However, Ian Morris equalised for the hosts just a minute later.

The teams remained deadlocked until the 90th-minute when Dinny Corcoran netted for Bohs. The win lifted the Dublin side out of the bottom two, while Bray remained anchored to the bottom — six points off Sligo one place above them.

Just three days later, Bray were knocked out of the EA Sports Cup following an embarassing 3-0 defeat at home against Shelbourne.

In front of just 208 people at the Carlisle Grounds, the Shels found themselves 2-0 at the break through goals from James English and Gavin Boyne. English scored his second after the interval to send Bray crashing out of the cup.

There is no rest for the weary Seagulls, as they host league leaders Cork City at the Carlisle Grounds on Friday evening

If you have a story that you think the WicklowNews.Net readers and beyond should know about, we’d love for you to get in touch with us. Submit A Story

Related Stories