Weekend Sports Roundup (Monday 19th March 2018)


Ireland are Grand Slam champions after beating England 24-15 at Twickenham on St. Patrick’s Day.

Joe Schmidt’s men have won the Grand Slam for the first time since 2009 — having already clinched the Six Nations championship following victory against Scotland last weekend.

Ireland made the perfect start to the game on five minutes when a high cross-field kick from Johnny Sexton evaded Anthony Watson under pressure from the magnificent Rob Kearney, before Garry Ringrose touched the ball down for the opening try.

That lead was stretched to 14-0 on 24 minutes when Bundee Aki was set free following a slick move. Aki then fed CJ Stander who fought his way to the posts to get Ireland’s second try.

Elliot Daly got England’s first try of the game on 32 minutes but, 10 minutes later, the opportunistic Jacob Stockdale did brilliantly to escape the clutches of two England players to score Ireland’s third try of the first half — and his seventh of a record-breaking championship — to make it 21-5.

Ireland’s final score came on 59 minutes through the boot of Conor Murray but — despite mounting spells of pressure — England were restricted to unconverted tries from Daly (65) and May (80).



Snowy conditions forced the postponement of the Wicklow senior footballers’ clash against Limerick in Division 4 of the Allianz Football League.

Wicklow were due to host Limerick in the round six of the league, only for the snow to force the game to be refixed to Monday afternoon.

The Garden County have said that pitch inspections will take place at both Joule Park and Bray Emmets on Monday morning in the hope that the game can go ahead.

Elsewhere, the Wicklow minor footballer’s game against Tipperary was called off as a result of the poor weather



Bray Wanderers remain rooted to the bottom of the Airtricity League Premier Division after they lost 5-1 away to Derry City.

The Seagulls went into the game at the Brandiwell on the back of four straight defeats and found themselves behind to a Patterson goal on 15 minutes.

Derry were reduced to 10-men after Low was sent off 10 minutes into the second half but, despite the numerical disadvantage, the hosts scored a further three goals through Curtis (60), McEneff (64) and Hale (76) to put the game well beyond Bray.

Wanderers did manage a goal back through Sean Heaney with nine minutes left on the clock but Hopkirk scored Derry’s fifth with two minutes left to condemn Bray to yet another defeat which now leaves them six points from safety.

Bray’s next game — against high-flying Waterford on Monday afternoon at the Carlisle Grounds — will undergo a pitch inspection after heavy snowfall has left the game in jeopardy.

Sign up to our weekly newsletter

Please contact us for use of this image