Know Your Rights August 2018

Know Your Rights

A: Appealing your Leaving Cert results

August 2018


I am unhappy with the result in one of my Leaving Cert subjects and think that I should have got a higher grade. How can I get the grade checked?


If you are not satisfied with the mark you got in a Leaving Certificate subject, you can appeal this result to the State Examinations Commission (SEC).

Before you decide to appeal, you can view your examination script at the school where you sat the exam. When you get your exam results, your school will get a personalised application form for you. If you want to view your exam script, you must complete this form and return it to your school by 21 August 2018.

The Organising Superintendent appointed by the SEC will assign you to one of the viewing sessions, on either 31 August or 1 September. You can only view your scripts from the written examinations – not the results of oral examinations or marks for practical examinations.

If you decide to  appeal your result, you can use the online Appeals Application Service. This service will be available from 12 noon on 20 August 2018. You need your examination number and PIN to access this service.

When you apply online and pay the fee, you will get an Appeal Confirmation Form, which you must print and bring to the Organising Superintendent in your school no later than 3 September 2018.

If you cannot use the online service, you must contact the SEC for a personalised appeal application form, pay the appeal fee in a bank and get the bank to stamp the form to confirm payment. Bring the stamped form to the Organising Superintendent in your school no later than 3 September 2018.

Your script will then be sent to an appeal examiner for re-marking.

The appeal fee is €40 per subject for the Established Leaving Certificate. The appeal fee for the Applied Leaving Certificate is €15.50 per subject. You will get this fee back if your result is upgraded.

Further information is available from the Citizens Information Centre below.




Know Your Rights

B: Renting out a room in your home

August 2018


I have an extra room in my home and I would like to rent it out. Will I have to pay tax on this rental income?


If you rent out a room in your home, the rental income you earn is exempt from income tax, PRSI and the Universal Social Charge – provided it is less than €14,000 in a tax year (1 January to 31 December). This is called rent-a-room relief. Rental income includes the total rent and any money that the tenant pays directly to you for food, utilities, laundry or similar services. The income you get must be under the exemption limit of €14,000. If it is over this limit, you are taxed on the total amount.

Your home must be in the State and you must occupy it as your sole residence during the year of assessment. This means that it is your home for most of the year and is where people would normally expect to make contact with you.

Some self-contained units qualify for this relief but they must be attached to your home, for example, a basement flat in your home.

You do not have to own the property to get rent-a-room relief – you can be a tenant sub-letting to someone else. In this case, you should check with your landlord that sub-letting is allowed.

The rent-a-room relief applies only to residential tenancies, not to short-term guest arrangements, and tenants must use the room on a long-term basis. So, renting a room to a student for the academic year or for a one-month course is covered, but providing accommodation to occasional visitors for short periods, for example, through an online accommodation booking site, is not.

You cannot claim the relief if you are renting a room to your civil partner, son or daughter, or if you are an employee and your company pays you to allow clients to use the room on an occasional basis.

Further information is available from the Citizens Information Service below.



Know Your Rights

C: One-Parent Family Payment and going back to education

August 2018



I am parenting alone and getting a One-Parent Family Payment. I would like to go back to college. What are my options?




Your options depend on your circumstances. You can go back to education and transfer onto the Back to Education Allowance (BTEA) or you can choose to keep your One-Parent Family payment. You will need to assess whether it is more beneficial for you to transfer to the BTEA when you go back to education or to remain on your One-Parent Family Payment and apply for a student grant.


If you go onto the BTEA, you will not be eligible for the maintenance component of the student grant. However, you can apply under the student grant scheme for a fee grant to cover the student contribution and course fees/field trip costs (where appropriate). You can also keep your Rent Supplement, medical card and other secondary benefits you may have. If you qualify for the BTEA, you are also entitled to an annual Cost of Education Allowance of €500 as you have a dependent child.


If you stay on your One-Parent Family Payment and are studying full-time on an approved course, you can apply for both the maintenance and fee components of the student grant. If you study part-time, you may be able to keep your Rent Supplement. However if you go back to full-time education and stay on your One-Parent Family Payment, you will no longer be eligible for Rent Supplement. If you are on the Rental Accommodation Scheme or living in local authority housing, you continue to pay your differential rent. However, this may be affected by the student grant, depending on your other sources of income.


Visit to find out more about financial supports while studying.


Further information is available from the Citizens Information Centre below.





Know Your Rights

D: Jobseeker’s Allowance for younger jobseekers

August 2018


I am 23 years of age and I live with my partner (aged 25) who is currently unemployed and getting Jobseeker’s Allowance. I am now also looking for work. How much Jobseeker’s Allowance am I entitled to?


In general, people aged under 26 get a reduced rate of Jobseeker’s Allowance.


As you are cohabiting, you have two payment options. Your partner could claim for you as a dependent adult on their Jobseeker’s Allowance claim. They would be paid their personal payment of €152.80 and €131.40 for you each week. This would give you a total household weekly payment of €284.20.


Alternatively, if you claim Jobseeker’s Allowance in your own right, the maximum personal amount you are eligible for is €107.70 a week. Even though the rate paid is less, it might be more beneficial for you because, as a claimant in your own right, you may be eligible for a range of training and employment schemes to help you into employment.


If you take up a place on a course of education or training or on an employment support scheme, you get a higher rate of payment. For example, all Back to Education Allowance (BTEA) participants aged under 26 who were getting a reduced age-related Jobseeker’s Allowance payment, get a maximum BTEA rate of €198 per week.


You can find the full list of current Jobseeker’s Allowance rates online at


Further information is available from the Citizens Information Service below.
Know Your Rights has been compiled by Co Wicklow Citizens Information Service which provides a free and confidential service to the public. See for details of your local centre or phone our main office in Bray on 0761 07 6780

Information is also available online at and from the Citizens Information Phone Service, 0761 07 4000.


If you have a story that you think the WicklowNews.Net readers and beyond should know about, we’d love for you to get in touch with us. Submit A Story

WicklowNews.Net Competitions

Powered by

Ready Set Play

Competition Ends

Competition is now closed
Related Stories
© Copyright 2022

Do you have a story for us? Contact us by email