Josh van der Flier and Jack Conan have been named in the 38-man squad for Ireland’s opening two games in the 2019 Guinness Six Nations Championship.
Joe Schmidt named his Ireland team on Wednesday afternoon, selecting uncapped trio Caolin Blade, Jack Carty, and Tom Farrell among his 38.
Ireland go into this year’s tournament as defending champions, having won the Grand Slam to kick-off a sensational 2018 that included a first-ever home win over New Zeland in November.
— Irish Rugby (@IrishRugby) 16 January 2019
Leinster flanker Josh van der Flier (24) makes his return to the Six Nations having suffered a season-ending knee injury in Ireland’s curtain-raiser against France last year.
The Wicklow-native made his return to provincial action back in September in a 52-10 win over the Dragons.
Van der Flier was then recalled to the Ireland squad for the November internationals, starring in their historic victory over the All-Blacks.
Meanwhile, Leinster number eight Jack Conan is included having earned his first Six Nations cap against Italy last year.
Ireland begin their 2019 Guinness Six Nations Championship campaign at home to England on the 2nd of February, with kick-off at 16:45.
Ireland Squad for 2019 Guinness Six Nations Championship (Rounds 1 and 2):
- Rory Best (Ulster/Banbridge) 113 caps Captain
- Tadhg Beirne (Munster/Lansdowne) 4 caps
- Jack Conan (Leinster/Old Belvedere) 11 caps
- Sean Cronin (Leinster/St Mary’s College) 65 caps
- Ultan Dillane (Connacht/Corinthians) 11 caps
- Tadhg Furlong (Leinster/Clontarf) 28 caps
- Cian Healy (Leinster/Clontarf) 84 caps
- Iain Henderson (Ulster/Queens University) 42 caps
- Dave Kilcoyne (Munster/UL Bohemians) 24 caps
- Jack McGrath (Leinster/St Marys College) 53 caps
- Jordi Murphy (Ulster/Lansdowne) 26 caps
- Sean O’Brien (Leinster/UCD) 52 caps
- Peter O’Mahony (Munster/Cork Constitution) 52 caps (vc)
- Andrew Porter (Leinster/UCD) 11 caps
- Rhys Ruddock (Leinster/St Mary’s College) 21 caps
- James Ryan (Leinster/UCD) 13 caps
- John Ryan (Munster/Cork Constitution) 16 caps
- Niall Scannell (Munster/Dolphin) 11 caps
- CJ Stander (Munster/Shannon) 28 caps
- Devin Toner (Leinster/Lansdowne) 63 caps
- Josh van der Flier (Leinster/UCD) 13 caps
- Will Addison (Ulster/Enniskillen) 3 caps
- Bundee Aki (Connacht/Galwegians) 12 caps
- Caolin Blade (Connacht/Galwegians) 0 caps
- Joey Carbery (Munster/Clontarf) 16 caps
- Jack Carty (Connacht/Buccaneers) 0 caps
- Andrew Conway (Munster/Garryowen) 10 caps
- John Cooney (Ulster/Terenure College) 4 caps
- Keith Earls (Munster/Young Munster) 72 caps
- Chris Farrell (Munster/Young Munster) 3 caps
- Tom Farrell (Connacht/TBC) 0 caps
- Robbie Henshaw (Leinster/Buccaneers) 36 caps
- Rob Kearney (Leinster/UCD) 87 caps
- Jordan Larmour (Leinster/St Mary’s College) 9 caps
- Conor Murray (Munster/Garryowen) 67 caps
- Garry Ringrose (Leinster/UCD) 17 caps
- Jonathan Sexton (Leinster/St Marys College) 78 caps (vc)
- Jacob Stockdale (Ulster/Ballynahinch) 14 caps