Wicklow allocated €1.7 million in home grants for elderly and people with disabilities

Wicklow is set to benefit from a 47% increase in funding for home adaptations of older people and those living with a disability.

The Minister for Housing and Urban Development, Damien English, announced funding of €1.7 million for County Wicklow, an increase on the €1.2 million provided last year.

However, on a per-capita basis, Wicklow still has among the lowest funding of any county in the scheme (€12 per person) according to 2016 census figures. Only counties Meath, Donegal, and certain high-population areas receive less funding per person.

The funding is part of a combined €71.25 million nationwide – a 7 per cent increase on grants allocated last year (€66.25m) for the Housing Adaptations for Older People and People with a Disability scheme..

The grants aim to help older people and those with disabilities to live independently in their own homes and enable earlier returns from hospital procedures. Approximately 11,800 homes across Ireland are expected to benefit, according to the Minister.

Three grant types are available for residents of private homes including:

  • The Housing Adaptation Grant for People with a Disability: This grant helps fund up to €30,000 towards adaptations, repairs, or other improvement works.
  • The Mobility Aids Grant: A fast track grant which covers basic works to address mobility problems (stair lifts, level access showers, access ramps, grab rails).
  • The Housing Aid for Older People Grant: Provides up to €8,000 to improve poor hosing conditions and carry out necessary repairs and improvements. (Structural repairs, re-wiring, replacement of windows and doors, water supply, heating).

80% of the funding provided comes from the Department of the Environment, Community and Local Government, while the remaining 20% is contributed from the local authority. This year, Wicklow County Council are providing up to €353,643 towards the scheme.

Minister Damien English said that funding has been increasing year on year since 2014 and that the scheme had made continued progress since its introducing in 2007.

“These grants have an immense impact on the quality of life of the many beneficiaries and play a vitally important role in helping people with a disability and people who are reaching an age in life when they are less mobile, to continue to live independently in their own homes,” added the Minister.

To apply for a grant, click this link to access forms provided by Wicklow County Wicklow. If you have queries, please contact the local Housing Office on (0404) 20120.

If you have a story that you think the WicklowNews.Net readers and beyond should know about, we’d love for you to get in touch with us. Submit A Story

WicklowNews.Net Competitions

Powered by


Congratulations To ‘Sarah Clarke’ Who Won Our €500 Homesavers Shopping Spree!

Thank you to the 5,000 people who entered our competition. 

New competition launching soon!

Related Stories
© Copyright 2022 WicklowNews.net

Do you have a story for us? Contact us by email