Cormac Foley has been named in the under-20 Ireland squad for the upcoming World Rugby Championship in Argentina.
Manager Noel McNamara announced his 28-man panel on Tuesday, ahead of his side’s opening game of the competition against England, next week.
McNamara has handed call-ups to Thomas Ahern and Azur Allison, following injuries sustained by Brian Deeny and Martin Moloney, the latter of whom started all five matches of Ireland’s Grand Slam-winning, Six Nations campaign.
Moloney and Deeny join an extensive list of injuries, alongside Harry Byrne, David Hawkshaw, Scott Penny, and Conor Phillips.
Ahern and Allison are two of seven uncapped players to have been named in the squad, with the others being Declan Adamson, Charlie Ward, Iwan Hughes, Stewart Moore, and Ciaran Booth.
Cormac Foley (19) had a breakout season for the Irish under-20s in this year’s Six Nations, scoring a pivotal try in Ireland’s opening tie of the tournament against the English.
The St. Mary’s scurm-half has been rewarded for his exploits with inclusion in the world championship team, in which he is joined by clubmate Ronan Watters.
The 2019 installment of the World Rugby U-20 Championship will run from June 4 to 22, and Santa Fe’s Club de Rugby Atheneo Immaculada is the venue for Ireland’s pool games, the first of which comes against England on the opening day.
Ireland Under-20 Squad (2019 World Rugby U-20 Championship)
- Craig Casey (Shannon/Munster) (vice-capt)
- Jake Flannery (Shannon/Munster)
- Cormac Foley (St. Mary’s College/Leinster)
- Sean French (Cork Constitution/Munster)
- Ben Healy (Garryowen/Munster)
- Iwan Hughes (Ballynahinch/Ulster)*
- Angus Kernohan (Queen’s University/Ulster)
- Stewart Moore (Malone/Ulster)*
- Colm Reilly (Buccaneers/Connacht)
- Rob Russell (Dublin University/Leinster)
- Liam Turner (Dublin University/Leinster)
- Jonathan Wren (Cork Constitution/Munster)
- Declan Adamson (Clontarf/Leinster)*
- Thomas Ahern (Shannon/Munster)*
- Azur Allison (Ballymena/Ulster)*
- Ryan Baird (Dublin University/Leinster)
- Ciaran Booth (Sale Sharks/IQ Rugby)*
- Tom Clarkson (Dublin University/Leinster)
- John Hodnett (UCC/Munster)
- David McCann (Banbridge/Ulster)
- John McKee (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
- Michael Milne (UCD/Leinster)
- Niall Murray (Buccaneers/Connacht)
- Charlie Ryan (UCD/Leinster) (capt)
- Dylan Tierney-Martin (Corinthians/Connacht)
- Charlie Ward (Clontarf/Leinster)*
- Ronan Watters (St. Mary’s College/Leinster)
- Josh Wycherley (Young Munster/Munster)
Ireland Under-20s – World Rugby U-20 Championship Fixtures:
- Tuesday, June 4 – England v Ireland, Santa Fe, 3.30pm local time/7.30pm Irish time
- Saturday. June 8 – Australia v Ireland Santa Fe, 10.30am local time/2.30pm Irish time
- Wednesday, June 12 – Italy v IrelandSanta Fe, 10.30am local time/2.30pm Irish time