The Annual Business Awards organised by Wicklow Town & District Chamber were presented at their Annual Dinner on Friday night last in the fabulous Tinakilly Country House Hotel.
Over 140 guests packed Tinakilly and enjoyed the great food, the fantastic atmosphere, and the buzz which accompanied the Award Ceremony. Master of Ceremonies for the night was Rosie Cooney of AIB Bank. It was a great night of fun and entertainment and a fantastic tribute to Susana Costello in the Chamber Office who ensured that this special evening was a great success.
President Robin Bradley, in his speech, referred to the progress the Chamber and the Town Team had achieved in the past year including:
- Funding for a new town website
- Funding for a feasibility study for a Greenway between Wicklow and Greystones
- Public Realm funding to backlight major town sites
- Updated progress re on the Park and Ride facility in Wicklow town to alleviate traffic congestion on the N11.
- The securing of a bus route between Wicklow Town and Glendalough to attract extra visitors to the town.
- Completion of a significant survey to present a detailed report to the Wicklow County Council outlining recommendations for the regeneration of Wicklow Town
- Agreement of proposals and secured funding to develop Wicklow Port as a business and social amenity
- Agreement with the Wicklow County Council that a Rates Incentive Scheme for new business occupiers would be introduced.
- Proposals for long term town lighting are being progressed
- A blue print for the image of the town is under review.
- The Taste of Wicklow Event expanded to a 3 day event this year and was a huge success. This is now the largest food event in Leinster after the Taste of Dublin.
- Creation of a Networking group that meets on the first Wednesday morning of each month – all business people in the town can attend. Contact Chamber office for details.
The winners of the Award Competition were as follows:
Best Retail Award – Kelly’s Fruit & Veg
Best Eating/Pub/Hospitality Establishment Award– Vital Health Cafe
Best New Business Award – Crazy Glazing
Best Small and Medium Enterprise – Laztech IT
Special Recognition Award: John & Colm Smith, Smiths of Wicklow
Honouring Innovation & Entrepreneurship: Josh McKenna, In Good Company/Workspace
Honouring Excellence in the Community: Wicklow Welcome Committee
€1490 was donated to Wicklow RNLI from the collection held on the night. RNLI is the Chamber’s Charity of Choice for 2019. Chamber President thanked all the businesses that helped to raise the money for this fantastic cause and thanks to the businesses that provided the spot prizes for the evening: Heels & Wardrobe, Connolly Menswear, TJ Gelletlie, Wicklow Wine Company, Butler’s Pharmacy and Byrne’s Gift & Furniture.
The Chamber would like to thank all of the sponsors AIB Bank, Allshades Blinds & Furnishings, Bank of Ireland, Burke Oil, Herbst Software, Wicklow Hire & Sales, Wicklow County Council and Wicklow Enterprise Park, Gg8 Events and Wicklow Christmas Market.