The Health Protection Surveillance Centre (HPSC) has been notified that 4 people diagnosed with COVID-19 in Ireland have died – bringing the total deaths to 1,608.
57 additional cases of COVID-19 have been confirmed.
There have now been 24,639 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Ireland.
The data from the HPSC, as of midnight, Friday 22 May (24,569 cases), reveals:
- 57% are female and 43% are male
- the median age of confirmed cases is 48 years
- 3,222 cases (13%) have been hospitalised
- of those hospitalised, 394 cases have been admitted to ICU
- 7,819 cases are associated with healthcare workers
- Dublin has the highest number of cases at 11,873 (48% of all cases) followed by Cork with 1,428 cases (6%) and then Kildare with 1,392 cases (6%)
- of those for whom transmission status is known: community transmission accounts for 59%, close contact accounts for 38%, travel abroad accounts for 3%