Know Your Rights September 2021

Know your Rights                                                                            8th September, 2021

Change in telephone numbers for Citizens Information Services

The Citizens Information Board and its funded services have now moved to the 0818 prefix for all its telephone numbers.

Following a ComReg review and consultation, the number of Non-Geographic Numbers (NGNs) has been reduced from five to two. Only the 1800 Freephone and 0818 Standard Rate NGNs will remain in use. All other numbers will cease to operate from 1 January 2022.

Will calls to 0818 cost more?

Calls to 0818 will cost the same as to the previous 0761 numbers. Calls to 0818 are included in call bundles or will cost no more than calling a landline.

Helpline numbers

The national helpline numbers with the new prefix are:

  • The Citizens Information Phone Service is 0818 07 4000
  • The Money Advice and Budgeting Service is 0818 07 2000
  • The National Advocacy Service is 0818 07 3000

For a listing of all local service numbers, check out or The details of regional NAS offices can be found at

The old 0761 numbers will remain operational in tandem with 0818 until 31 December 2021. However, from 1 January 2022, only the 0818 numbers will connect you to the relevant service.

Know your rights: Flight and hotel cancellation

I have booked my own flight and hotel online.  If I have to cancel what will happen to my money?

If you have planned a holiday where you booked the flights and hotel individually, you do not have the same level of protection as with a package holiday.

Your rights to cancel your flight and accommodation will be set out in the terms and conditions of the contract.

Cancelling your flight

If you have to cancel your flight or decide not to fly, you may lose the money you paid if the flight has not been cancelled by the airline or if you have not booked it as part of a package holiday.

If you booked the flight yourself you have no automatic right to re-routing or a refund. However, if you have to cancel because of COVID-19, you should contact the airline. Some airlines may be willing to offer you other alternatives like a voucher or credit note, or allow you to rebook your flight for a later date.

Cancelling your accommodation

Check the terms and conditions carefully to see what your rights about cancellation and refund options. You should contact the booking site if you need to cancel. In general, if you booked with a booking website, your contract is with the hotel and not the booking website. You may need to go to the hotel directly to ask for a refund. If you have a non-refundable hotel booking, it may be difficult to get your money back if you have to cancel.

Travel insurance

If you have taken out travel insurance to cover your holiday, check to see if flight and accommodation cancellations are covered. If you are not sure, contact your travel insurance provider directly to see if you can claim on your policy.

You can read more about travel during COVID-19 and your consumer rights on

During the COVID-19 pandemic you can contact your local Citizens Information Centre:

•          Bray CIC on 0818 07 6780 Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm

•          Email Bray CIC at – anytime

A limited number of appointments are being made in Bray Citizens Information Centre

You can also get information and advice from:

  • The Citizens Information Phone Service: Call 0818 07 4000, Monday to Friday,
    9am – 8pm

If you have a story that you think the WicklowNews.Net readers and beyond should know about, we’d love for you to get in touch with us. Submit A Story

Related Stories