Know Your Rights September 2021

Citizens Information

Know your rights September 2021

Know your rights: Local Property Tax


Who has to pay Local Property Tax for 2022?


You must pay Local Property Tax, or LPT, for 2022 if you own a residential property on 1 November 2021. This applies whether or not you usually live in the building. Some properties that were exempt from LPT are now liable for the tax.

Valuing your house

You must self-assess the value of your house. To help you with this Revenue provides an interactive tool. You can also use information sources about local property values such as newspapers, local estate agents or commercial property websites, or you can have a professional valuation done. No matter what method you choose, you should keep a copy of all information sources you use as Revenue may ask to see this later. The valuation you submit now will apply until 2025.

Submitting your LPT return

Once you have worked out the value of your house, you should submit your LPT return by 7 November 2021. You can do this online. Revenue will issue you a letter that will include your property ID and PIN number. You will need these, along with your PPS number or Tax Reference Number, to log in to the LPT online service.  

Paying your LPT charge

You can pay online using a variety of methods, or you can choose to spread your payments out as instalments. You can also pay by cheque if you are submitting a paper form, you should make sure to provide the property ID on the back of the cheque. 

You can read more about paying the Local Property Tax (LPT) on

Know your rights: Applying for a student grant


I just started college. Can I still apply for a student grant?


You can apply for a student grant if you are taking an approved course and meet the income and residency criteria.

These include:

  • Your family’s means must be under the specified threshold for the previous tax year (2020). If you or your family have had a change of circumstances during the current tax year, your changed circumstances may be taken into account.
  • You must have been ordinarily resident in Ireland for three of the last five years.
  • You must be an Irish, UK, EU, EEA or Swiss national. You may also be considered for a grant if you have refugee status, subsidiary protection or leave to remain in Ireland.

Student Universal Support Ireland (SUSI) awards student grants.

You can use SUSI’s eligibility reckoner to see whether you meet the criteria for student grant funding.

To apply for a student grant, you complete an application form online.

Applications to SUSI close at midnight on 4 November 2021.

If you are refused a grant or are approved a grant at a rate that you don’t think applies to your situation, you can appeal in writing to SUSI within 30 days of getting your decision.

If you are living in direct provision or are in the international protection system, you can apply for support under the Student Support Scheme for Asylum Seekers

You can read more about the Student Grant Scheme on

You can get further information by contacting:

•          Bray CIC on 0818 07 6780 Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm

•          Email Bray CIC at – anytime:

  • The Citizens Information Phone Service: Call 0818 07 4000 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 8pm).
  • Our national call back service: Visit to request a phone call from an information officer

If you have a story that you think the WicklowNews.Net readers and beyond should know about, we’d love for you to get in touch with us. Submit A Story

Related Stories