Gardai in Wicklow town are appealing to motorists to lock vehicles when they are parked outside their homes following a number of incidents in the Dunbar area and estates on south side of the town.
Gardai say opportunists are going around the estates in the late evening and night time checking for unlocked vehicles, over the past week cash, jewellery and a number of electrical items have been stolen.
In a number of cases homeowners had CCTV cameras but were not in use, Gardai are asking anyone that has CCTV installed to make sure they are working.
The last Park Smart appeal by the Gardai found that
– 38% of all vehicles broken into were left unlocked
– Driveway is a common location for these thefts
– Over 50% of these thefts occur overnight (midnight to 7am)
Tips to Prevent Theft
– Whether you park your car or van, take your property with you
– Ensure your car is locked, alarmed and parked in a safe location
– Store your keys safely, away from windows and letterboxes
Visitors to the county are also being reminded not to leave any valuables or personal items in their vehicles.