Following on the successful launch of the first guided talk of the Wicklow Town Heritage Trail held on 19th March, a programme of weekly guided walks will commence on Easter Saturday 16th April, until the end of September 2022.
The walk on Easter Saturday will commence from outside the Dominican Convent at 11am.
Locals, Visitors and Tourists are all welcome to take part in what is a very informative walk detailing the rich history of Wicklow Town, from the landing of St. Patrick in 432 to the end of the Civil War in 1923.
This week’s walk will focus on:
- The history relating to the Barrow Green, including stories of the secret burials that took place there.
- The story of Billy Byrne and the 1798 rising in Wicklow Town.
- The history of The Black Castle.
- The landing of St. Patrick at Travelahawk Beach.
- The history of Wicklow Gaol.
On each storyboard, there is a QR code which enables participants to watch a video on their phone, telling them the story of each key location. The actors featured on the videos are members of the local dramatic society.
On future Saturdays, the weekly guided walk will commence from Fitzwilliam Square at 11am each Saturday.