Irish Rail apologises to customers following Bray incident and promises review

Irish Rail has apologised to customers who were impacted by the delays and overcrowding on Sunday to the Bray Air Show that resulted in people leaving trains.

Passengers who were on board DARTs heading southbound towards Bray for the air display faced delays as the trains stopped on the line awaiting a platform at the station.

While Irish Rail claimed the initial delay was just six minutes before passengers “forced open doors”, this has been disputed by commuters who were on board.

They claimed the trains were overcrowded and extremely warm with no air conditioning.

As more passengers left carriages and trains, Irish Rail had to suspend services in both directions due to what they said were “trespassers on the line”.

Following the incident, the rail company’s CEO has now offered an apology and promised a full review into capacity available for the event, their initial response time and the ventilation that was available on board.

“At the outset, I wish to apologise to customers who were delayed, disrupted or distressed as they sought to travel to …. Bray Air Show,” said Jim Meade.

Picture Freddie Stevens Twitter

He continued: “The Air Show is traditionally one of the busiest days of the year on DART, and in planning with organisers, we arranged for additional DARTs to operate.  Ultimately, nine extra DARTs operated from the city centre to Bray on Sunday between late morning and early afternoon.

“As the last of these – the 13:45hrs Connolly to Bray, approached Bray Station, it stopped outside the station, waiting for a platform to become clear ahead.  Unfortunately, doors were forced open on one of the carriages after it had been stopped for approximately 6 minutes, and a number of people descended onto the track to walk towards the station.

“Immediately, trains had to be halted in both directions due to the presence of people on the track.  Quite quickly, others – now concerned at the extending delay, and at the very warm conditions – also left the train, and this continued across a number of carriages.  A second train – the 13:05hrs Howth to Greystones – was stopped further back towards Shankill, and after approximately 20 minutes, customers also out of concern for the delay and heat on board began to leave the train.”

He concluded that “what should have been an enjoyable family day out ended for many in delay, upset and distress, including those who felt they had no option but to disembark from trains”.

If you have a story that you think the WicklowNews.Net readers and beyond should know about, we’d love for you to get in touch with us. Submit A Story

Related Stories