This year’s St. Patrick’s Festival and Parade in Bray is bigger than ever. The Festival will run for five days from Thursday, March 16th until Monday, March 20th, 2023.
The jam-packed programme includes Bird’s Euroshow Funfair, live music, an open-air céilí, talks, a walk, a treasure hunt, movies at the Bandstand, the St. Patrick’s Day Bray Parade and more.
President of the Bray & District Chamber of Commerce, Sarah Finnegan welcomes residents and visitors alike to this year’s festival. ‘With a five-day program hosting a range of over thirty events and activities, there is plenty of fun and family-friendly ways to celebrate our national day in Bray. Together with the support of our sponsors Bird’s Euroshow and Wicklow County Council, Bray Chamber have arranged a number of free-of-charge events that we hope all the family can enjoy.’
The St. Patrick’s Day Parade will be a cultural celebration. There are excellent vantage points for all to get an opportunity to marvel at the strong 1,500 participants as they spectacularly make their way through the town.
Again this year, organisers have teamed up with the Bray Autism Friendly Town Team and there will be a quiet zone at the Parade at the junction of Quinsborough Road and Seymour Road.
The Parade Grand Marshall this year is Bray’s Person of the Year’ Dr David Menzies. Dr Menzies is a founding member of Bray Cardiac First responders and a founding member and volunteer with Wicklow Rapid Response. He is also a founder, former Chair and currently Trustee, Board Member and Medical Director of CFR Ireland, a national registered charity for Community First Responders.
There will be road closures in place on Thursday, March 17th from 1 pm until after 3 pm to facilitate the new Parade route. Roads affected include Main Street, Florence Road, Eglinton Road, Quinsboro Road, Seymour Road, Seapoint Road, Strand Road and surrounding junctions.
This year’s St. Patrick’s Festival has something for all the family. Take a look at the highlights:
Events/activities running throughout the festival from Thursday, March 16th until Monday, March 20th 2023:
- Enjoy all the thrills and spills of the Bird’s Euroshow Funfair as it returns to Bray Seafront from Thursday, March 16th until Monday, March 20th. It opens on Thursday, March 16th at 3 pm then daily from 12 noon to 10 pm.
- At your leisure grab the family or a bunch of friends for an adventuresome day out with Family Treasure HuntExperience. Go to bray.ie/stpatricksfestival to access the questionnaire.
- Learn how to Irish dance with a virtual Céilí by Scoil Rince Fáinne. Go to bray.ie/stpatricksfestival to watch.
- Throughout the festival watch as iconic Bray District landmarks including the Town Hall, Civic Offices & The Bandstand #GoGreen in celebration of our National Day.
- There’s some cracking live music throughout the town’s many venues. Full music listings can be found at bray.ie/events/.
Thursday, March 16th 2023:
- Making waves – An immersive multi-sensory dance theatre production designed specifically for children aged 8 to 13 years with mild to more complex needs takes place at the Mermaid at 10:15 am & 12:15 pm. See mermaidartscentre.ie to book.
- At 4 pm join White Doodle Workshops and create a fun St. Patrick’s Day mixed-media Snake… Draw, paint, print and stamp to create a fun sake! Sign up for free at bray.ie/stpatricksfestival. Places are limited – booking is essential.
- Learn about the International Hotel, from start to finish, a talk by James Scannell hosted by the Bray Cualann Historical Society at the Royal Hotel at 8 pm. Read more at braycualannhistoricalsociety.ie.
Friday, March 17th 2023:
- The festival’s main event, the St. Patrick’s Day Bray Parade will kick off at 2 pm from the Town Hall to the viewing stand at the northern part of the Seafront.
- At the Mermaid, Neil Delamere is back with a brand new show, Delamerium at 8 pm. Expect the usual hilarious stories, wry observations and quick-witted improvisation. See mermaidartscentre.ie to book.
Saturday, March 18th 2023
- Celebrate St. Patrick’s weekend in Killruddery Yard with a special edition of their Farm Market. Listen to performances from musicians while enjoying a unique shopping experience in a friendly and relaxed atmosphere while supporting the local economy and farmers! There’s free parking + admission. Read more at killruddery.com.
- Join the Boomerang Brass Band (UK) live at the clocktower in Enniskerry Village at 12:45 pm.
- Enjoy a showcase of Irish Dancing which includes exhilarating performances from Lawless Academy of Irish Dancing, Dunphy School of Irish Dance, Scoil Rince Fáinne and Shauna McGauran School of Irish Dancing at the Seafront Bandstand from 2 pm.
- Let the brilliant Suzie from White Doodle Face Art delight children with free face painting from 3:15 pm to 5:15 pm at the Seafront Bandstand.
- Irish dance meets Brass – watch the very talented Shauna McGauran School of Irish Dance wow audiences as they showcase their dancing skills with music by The Boomerang Brass Band (UK) on the Seafront Bandstand at 4 pm.
- Cheer on Ireland as they take on England in the final fixture of the 2023 Six Nations Championship on the open-air big screen opposite the bandstand at 5.15 pm.
- Remembering Ronnie – Phelim Drew, celebrated actor and son of The Dubliners’ Ronnie Drew, brings his fabulous music show to Mermaid Arts Centre at 8 pm. See mermaidartscentre.ie to book
Sunday, March 19th 2023:
- The Bray Head Walk is back again this year. Take in some of the most stunning views of Bray and surrounding areas with a guided walk with Bray Adventures up and around the amazing Bray Head. Sign up for free at bray.ie/stpatricksfestival. Places are limited – booking is essential.
- The Bray Vintage Car Club will be showcasing some of their member’s beautiful classic and vintage cars from 2 pm to 4 pm opposite the Bandstand.
- Enjoy a spectacular Hip Hop dance off with Studio X Dance Group at the Seafront Bandstand from 1 pm.
- Free movies by the bandstand – Bring a deckchair, blanket or a bean bag to ensure maximum snugness, some popcorn and treats and enjoy some family favourites to celebrate Mother’s Day at 2 pm and 4 pm with thanks to Bird’s Euroshow Funfair. Movies will be revealed on bray.ie’s socials in due course.
Monday, March 20th 2023:
- The Bray Cualann Historical Society will be reeling in the years with a historical talk at 8 pm. Learn about Bray through the Movies from 1929 to 1966 at the Bray and District Chamber of Commerce House. Admission is free with no registration required.
You can read more about the festival, register for free walks, talks, sign up for competitions, access the treasure hunt questionnaire and watch the learn how to Irish dance workshop by visiting bray.ie/stpatricksfestival/.
‘Thanks to our sponsors, our committee, volunteers, service providers, participants and the emergency services for helping make the Festival a continued success,’ concluded Sarah.
There’s plenty to keep you busy between events. You can explore things to see and do, eat and drink, places to stay and more by visiting the award-winning bray.ie website.
All events are subject to change without notice and may be dependant on weather.
Bray’s St. Patrick’s Festival is proudly brought to you by Bray & District Chamber of Commerce, Wicklow County Council and Bray.ie. Bray.ie is the trading name of Bray Tourism.
Be sure to stay up to date by following bray.ie on https://twitter.com/bray_ie, https://www.facebook.com/braytown or https://www.instagram.com/braydotie/.
The event hashtags are #StPatricksFestivalBray #PaddysBray #PaddysBré #Bray #LoveBray.
Pocket Guide 2023 – View & download here.
Watch the 2023 Festival promo video here.
Photo library – Download some high-resolution previous #BrayParade photographs here.
For more information please email email@example.com
Parade participating groups
We want to extend a huge thank you to the many businesses, artists, community groups and clubs that helped to make this year’s parade happen:
- 11th Wicklow Kilmacanogue Beavers Group
- 12th Wicklow St. Peter’s Bray Scout Group
- Ardmore Rovers Football Club
- Bray Adventurers
- Bray Community First Responders
- Bray Emmets GAA Club
- Bray For Love
- Bray Hockey Club
- Bray Junior Musicals
- Bray Lions Club
- Bray Vintage Car Club
- Crumlin Marching Band
- Enniskerry Youth club AFC
- Gerry Martin & Ruby, the Collie in the Fire Brigade
- Lakers Social and Recreation
- Lawless Academy of Irish Dancing
- Masters Temple Martial Arts Academy
- McGrath Flood School of Irish Dancing
- Me and The Moon
- Shankill GAA
- Shauna McGauran School of Irish Dancing
- Signal Arts
- Southside Chinese Residents Association
- St. Peters Football Club
- Studio X Dance Group
- The Boomerang Band (UK)
- The Perfect Stone Company
- Twilight Twirlers
- World Cup Blitz (In aid of Make a Wish)