This day of free creativity for children and young people returns to County Wicklow on Saturday 10th June 2023.
Each year Cruinniú na nÓg becomes more firmly embedded into the lives of young people with a huge programme of free creative activities planned for 10th June that will really stretch the imagination.
“As the only event of its kind in the world, County Wicklow will be buzzing with activities, events and workshops for Cruinniú na nÓg this year with a special programme designed to surprise and delight young audiences.” – Tommy Annesley, Cathaoirleach of Wicklow County Council
In Wicklow alone there are more than 40 activities, events and workshops taking place across nine locations.
With an array of creative activities including a BrickFlicks Stop Motion Workshop with Create School and Animal Willow Weaving with Wicklow Willow at the Mermaid Arts Centre; Plan-It-Play Science and Art Workshops at Bray Library and a special “Jukebox” Family Concert at Killruddery House, there’s something for everyone in Bray this year.
As part of the Cruinniú na nÓg programme, in Dunlavin ‘Let’s Drum with the Mobile Music School’ involves interactive, hands-on drumming workshops that introduce children to a range of percussion instruments from different parts of the world. These workshops cover rhythms and patterns that are commonly heard in African and Samba drumming and modern music.
Wicklow Libraries are providing a range of fun-filled events and workshops including:
- Miriam Brady is providing a unique ‘Textile Art Workshop’ to showcase the art of sculpting a beautiful felted bowl using a mix of wool and silk fibres in Wicklow Town Library.
- ‘Paper Folds – Mind Unfolds’ will explore the Japanese art of folding paper into different objects, shapes, and animals.
- Featuring a percussion workshop from qualified percussionist and composer Tony Byrne, an artist workshop with Julie Fee and musical performances from Roisin Vigors, Fionn Vigors and Teddy Guilfoyle, join Arklow Music and Arts for their special introduction to the Arts event at Arklow Library.
- ‘Toddler Sing-A-Long’ is a fun-filled interactive session of live-music and song and music-making in Blessington Library.
- Young residents from Kippure Lodge will perform their recent creations for all to enjoy at the Rhyme Island Showcase at Blessington Library.
- Also in Blessington Library, Sew Fun Studios are hosting a ‘Hedwig the Owl Sewing Workshop’ a Harry Potter themed sewing workshop.
- Join local artist and printmaker Susie Fortune from White Doodle Art for ‘Draw, print, cut and Paste’ to create a fun collage combing a mix of Gelli printing, painting and drawing in Greystones Library.
‘This Is Art,” Ireland’s national young people’s art competition, returns this year as part of Cruinniú na nÓg. With over 120 entries by young artists and creatives from Wicklow alone, a prize fund of more than €10,000 will be awarded across various categories. To mark this incredible number of submissions, Wicklow Arts office is sharing a selection of entries on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram in the lead up to the winners being announced on Saturday, 10th June.
Chief Executive of Wicklow County Council, Emer O’Gorman, said:
“Cruinniú na nÓg is an important collaboration between Creative Ireland, local authorities and RTÉ to bring colourful, free and creative activities to thousands of young people across the country.”
All events are free and people are advised to book early to avoid disappointment.
See the full programme of Cruinniú na nÓg events at cruinniu.creativeireland.gov.ie