A recent study has shown that burglaries in Wicklow have dropped by 25% this year – but that this is still no reason to slack on your home security.
While the fall in number of burglaries is welcome news, the Winter season is yet to come, and these months are infamous for their spike in such criminal activity.
Eoin Dunne, Managing Director of PhoneWatch said, “The past 12 months have shown a welcome decrease in our burglary levels nationally, however, we should bear in mind that we are coming into the period when typically, burglaries are at their highest, and our homes are most vulnerable. We know that 58% of Irish homeowners fear burglary most in the winter months.“
Here are some tips from An Gárda Síochána on how to keep your home safe as the Winter rolls in:
- Ensure your home security system is in proper order and update if required.
- Secure all doors and windows.
- Keep some lights on in your house, even when you aren’t home.
- Store your keys safely away from windows.
- Do not keep large amounts of cash at home.
- Keep your alarm on, even while you are home.
So while homeowners will be somewhat reassured by the current downward trend in burglary, it is still of vital importance to ensure you’re keeping your home, your family, and your valuables as clear from risk as possible.